Thursday, November 25, 2010

Why the system beeps continuously on startup or power on?

This happened on my dual boot lap with Linux and Windows Vista. I used it for learning programming. The programming languages I handled on this laptop ranged from the primitive machine language to Java and Website designing. I guess excessive use of programming is what teared my system down.

About 3 months ago, one day when I started my lap I heard loud system beeps,not one or two, a whole 8. After the beeps the system came to a stand still from which for the boot to proceed I had to press 'Enter'. But after the boot up everything was normal. I first thought It was a temporary glitch but I realized something was seriously gone wrong when I restarted the system, to my great sadness the beeps persisted.
I understood that problem is in the BIOS of the system (Learn more about BIOS ). I found from my sister's books that the BIOS gives out beeps when error occurs. So my BIOS had 8 errors in it. Each Beep occurred each time when the BIOS programming faced with an error. I decided to update the BIOS using the method I described here. Update BIOS.
Everything went back to normal after the BIOS was updated. System beeps stopped and the flash screen that appear when BIOS is working was there for a lesser time period. means BIOS is loading faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here